The Queen Victoria Building, now affectionately known as the QVB, was designed by George McRae and completed in 1898, replacing the original Sydney markets on the site. Built as a monument to the long reigning monarch, construction took place in dire times, as Sydney was in a severe recession. The elaborate Romanesque architecture was specially planned for the grand building so the Government could employ many out-of-work craftsmen - stonemasons, plasterers, and stained window artists - in a worthwhile project. Originally, a concert hall, offices, showrooms, warehouses and a wide variety of tradespeople were accommodated, Now QVB contains mostly upmarket boutiques, coffee shops and "brand-name" shops.
Interior of Queen Victoria Building